Monday, December 18, 2006

Will the Well Dry Up?

The time is 7.15am. Grocery stores and bakeries are starting to open. The TVs are tuned to the news already. Politics and news are on the radio waves of every cab driver of the city. Two men are already arguing and "analyzing" the political situation, etc. This has been my daily breakfast every day for the last few weeks on my way to my internship...

Today, that made me think, what if the Lebanese suddenly woke up and the political tension of the Middle East was suddenly over? Would the withdrawal symptoms be too intense that they would need rehabilitation?

There is a story about a man in Nazi Germany who used to wake up everyday and curse Hitler. One day, he woke up to a different situation. Hitler was dead. What did he do? He hung himself! You see, his life suddenly felt meaningless. Hate was fueling his days and when that was gone, he felt like a well drained out.

Would we all feel dry and cracked up if by a miracle we were given the chance to live in peace? I do wonder...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy, I believe we'd always find novel ways of being divisive, even in times of relative peace and prosperity. Not to worry :)

FGA

Anonymous said...

great new website look. I thought the black background was a tad too grim :)